Braised Greens Egg Sandwich
Euro-Bake Portuguese Roll Halved
½ oz. Pickled Shallots, see related recipe
¼ cup Braised Greens, see related recipe
¼ cup chopped prosciutto, cooked crisp
1 egg, sunny side
Pickled Shallots (Yield: 4 oz.)
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 T. kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 Tsp. black peppercorns
- ½ Tsp. coriander seed
- 4 oz. thinly sliced shallots
Braised Greens (Yield: 2 cups)
- 2 Tsp. oil
- 2 T. diced shallot
- 2 Tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- 8 cups seasonal greens (such as kale, chard, mustard, collard, etc)
- salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup halved grape tomatoes
Toast the roll brushed with butter or oil.
Layer bottom roll with pickled shallots, braised greens, crispy prosciutto, and egg, close with the top bun.
- Combine all ingredients in pot and heat until salt and sugar are completely dissolved, add shallot, and cool.
- Sauté shallot and garlic in oil.
- Deglaze with lemon juice.
- Add greens and season to taste with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Add chicken stock and simmer until tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and sauté until heated through.